Thursday, March 18, 2010

Doing well so far...

We continue to receive good/better news about Connor.

We just had our second "touch time" of the day. He has tolerated both of them well - that is to say, his vital signs have not worsened when we took his temperature, changed his diaper, cleaned his mouth, and held his feet or hands or stroked his head or face.

He continues to respond to our voices when we talk to him, certainly Heidi's more than mine.

His supplemental oxygen is down to 47%!
His blood pressure support is still at 13, but that's better than the 18 it was during the day yesterday, and the nurse (who is and have been great, by the way) is considering lowering his blood pressure support.

We talked to Dr. Santiago earlier this morning. He had been considering feeding Connor (via a tube into his stomach) today, but, since he is still on some blood pressure support, he wants to wait to try until tomorrow.

He also wants to wait on changing to the standard ventilator until tomorrow as well. I asked about how long he could safely stay on the high-frequency ventilator, and he said sometimes babies go straight from the high-frequency ventilator to nasal canula (the little tubes that deliver oxygen to his nose like you've probably seen on adults), so, he wasn't too worried about another day on the high-frequency ventilator.

He again peed all over his linens, so we had to change those again.

The nurse told us for the first time today that when Dr. Santiago was trying to put his chest tube in a couple of days ago, he peed all over the sterile field while he was trying to do it! I guess Dr. Santiago was trying to tell the nurse, Sue, through the mask that he was peeing but she couldn't hear him, so he got everything wet. :)

So, that would make twice that he decided to interrupt a sterile procedure. The first time was when they were getting ready to put his umbilical line in at Allen, he was ventilated and covered by the sterile drapes when all of a sudden they heard him crying. Of course, if you have a tube in your mouth you can't really cry out, so, that's when they realized he had extubated (removed his tube) himself. I guess he likes to keep things interesting.

I think that's it for now. Heidi is getting excited that her breast milk is coming in more and more with each time he pumps. She is hoping to have lots stored away for when he is ready to start "real" feeds into his stomach.

Our "touch times" are 8, 12, and 4, so, we'll go see him again and 4.

I think we'll be staying at my aunt & uncle's house tonight, but, after an uneventful night last night, we feel much more comfortable doing so.

Thanks again so much for the prayers. I don't know what else to say but thank you and God's blessings to you...

Connor is not out of the woods yet, but, certainly there has been more good news in the past 30 hours than bad. We pray this will continue and that the progress they want to make over the next 24 hours is able to happen.

Thanks again, too, for taking the time to write all of your comments and personal stories that have brought encouragement to us. We probably won't be able to respond to them all, but know that we have read them all and take them to heart. We are blessed by amazing friends and family, and appreciate those that have been praying for Connor and for our family without even knowing us...Hopefully we can continue to report good news!

18 comments:

  1. I am so happy to have a good report!!! Way to keep things interesting, little buddy, with the peeing and the extubating! That shows some great spirit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm happy to read such positive, well-explained updates. You're all in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's great to hear! This little guy has kept everyone on their toes for sure, he's a fighter! So happy for more good news!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Prais the Lord for this good report.

    The Hobbs Family
    South Cleveland Church of God.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great to hear! He's obviously wanting to come home with you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yea yea yea!!! 48 hours was our turning point too. Hoping and praying for continual good news! Rest up now when you have someone to watch Connor for you, soon his beautiful cries are going to be keeping yall up at home!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We are sooo happy to hear the encouraging news. We will continue to pray and thank God for the amazing results. Much love to all 3 of you from the girls at LHC!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. shane and heidi, so happy that things are looking up for little connor!!! we have been praying non-stop...we love you guys and can't wait to see him; he's absolutely beautiful!!! Love Always In Christ, Mark & Megan Bowman

    ReplyDelete
  9. We're friends of Kim and Zech (Kim was our flower girl) Anyway, wanted to let you know we are also prayng. We have walked this path and share your thoughts. Our grandson was born at 30 weeks, was 2# 11 oz. He was in hospital for 6 weeks and doesn't show one sign of all the struggle he went through at the beginning. We are praying along with you for baby Connor...sounds as if he has lots of fight in him. Blessing from Colorado

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is really great news! He's such a gorgeous little boy. We'll keep praying for his continued health. God is great!

    Love to you three!

    Nate, Erin, and Fynn

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the awsome update!!! SO exciting to see your going up hill!...
    Babette & Tony

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so happy that things are improving! I can't imagine how difficult this has been for you, but I'm glad to read that you're getting comfort from your faith. I've thought about your family a lot over the past couple of days. You'll continue to be in my thoughts and prayers.
    Nicki Pekarske

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so glad that things are improving for Connor! I can't even imagine how difficult this has been for you. I'm glad to read that you are finding comfort in your faith. I've thought about your family a lot during the past few days. You'll continue to be in my thoughts and prayers.
    Nicki Pekarske

    ReplyDelete
  14. woohoo! delighted to hear the good news! Here's hoping you have turned the corner

    ReplyDelete
  15. Shane- GREAT news! I know that he has a few more hurdles to get over but I have faith that he will be just fine. I have been thinking of Connor all week and will continue to pray for him!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just found out today that you had your baby. What a beautiful little boy. Congratulations!!! I have faith that things will get better. Wish I was there to give you a big hug and pray with you. I will continue to pray that things improve. Please let us know if we can do anything. Thanks for the updates.

    Love,
    The Mealey's

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great news guys! I'm so happy to see he's progressing. Don't worry about him staying on the oscillator, either, as our NICU had kids on it for weeks depending on the situation. But a conventional vent is a lot quieter, so you'll be able to talk to him even more!

    You continue to be in our prayers, and Luke has been blessing baby Connor in his prayers as well. He wants to visit him, so we'll definitely have to make time to come see you some day!

    Take care!
    Charles, Cindy, Luke and Max

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's great new that Connor's health has been moving in such a positive direction! We'll take all of the good news we can get. Our prayers continue for his move into normalcy, and we thank God for all of the great care he is receiving.
    Heidi and Shane, you are in our prayers; may you feel the strength of all of our support!

    ReplyDelete