This is Heidi...
So, we are absolutely thrilled with Connor's progress! We know that there is still a ways to go before he's out of the woods, but have been told by numerous people that with infants with RSD (Respiratory Distress Syndrome), once they turn the corner, progress goes pretty quickly and they don't usually go back. We've also been encouraged by being told that there are unlikely to be any long term problems due to all of this. It sounds like he wouldn't even have any increased chances of things like asthma.
We feel like we are getting closer to being able to pick up and hold the little dude and can't wait until that time comes. Until then, we are happy to watch his continued progress and are really enjoying our more frequent touch times. With the bili light on and the purple sunglasses, he looks like he's lying on the beach getting a suntan with some Jimmy Buffett music playing in the background. Of course, that would be without the tubes and wires everywhere.
If all stays well today, we think we're ready to spend the night at home tonight. If someone would have suggested that a couple of days ago, I probably would have freaked out much like I did the other night after being told we wouldn't be able to stay at the hospital that night. Luckily, we ended up being able to stay, but now I don't feel like we need to. Staying with Shane's aunt and uncle last night was a great transition because they live closer to the hospital than we do.
It's also really nice to have touch time more frequently now. 4 times a day really feels like a lot more than the 3 we had before. We've gotten better at preventing the several times/day leaking diapers. It's not easy to a change diaper through arm holes and with wires and tubes everywhere. Since the feedings through the orogastric tube have begun, I'm sure we'll start to have some messier diapers, too :)
Thanks again to everyone for all the prayers and messages of support. Sitting in the waiting room all day every day isn't the most fun thing to do, but reading all the messages, comments, emails, etc, have been very uplifting.
Praise God from whom all blessings flow...
Friday, March 19, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Chin up girlie...Glad to hear he is doing so much better, hope you two take care of yourselves as well. Wish we could be there to bring you some real food instead of hospital food ;-(
ReplyDeleteOur thoughts and prayers are with you and Shane, especially extra prayers for lil man Connor.
Babette & Tony
I am so glad to hear that his improvement is happening quickly! I pray that he will be in your arms soon and that you will get to take home a happy healthy baby before too long. On a lighter note, just think of the leverage this will give you when he is a teen! This is better than any 36 hours of labor story I ever heard. It even trumps the fact that I almost died having Kasja, she doesn't hear it often, but at 17 she pushes enough that I use it when needed. You will look back in a few years and realize that it made you stronger parents and a stronger couple as well. God bless to all 3 of you and I can't wait for the update that says he is going home! Much love!
ReplyDeleteGod is good we are so happy god is working miracles with Conner
ReplyDeletewe will keep prayers uplifting you all -Casey and Renae
Heidi and Shane, I am so glad to hear that things are improving for little Connor.. You will continue to be in our prayers, as well as my/our friend's and family's prayer.. I've forwarded your blog to them.... :)
ReplyDeleteMelissa
We serve such an awesome God, who has been with Shane & Heidi down this most difficult path, Your words for us, Well I can't express how thev've just helped us to know how to pray for your son and for the two of you. You are awesome parents and thank you so much for sharing with us. Be still and know that I am God has helped me in difficult times in my families life. Still praying and thinking so much about yall.
ReplyDeleteYou guys are doing a great job changing his diaper. Chentito had the greates of times when he peed and pooped on us. He had us running around looking for more wipies, diapers, and a new change of clothes for him and for us. It was always a 2 person job :) It was always funnier when it happened to dad, not so funny when it happened to me. Either Chentito doesn't think its funny anymore, or we became better prepared (it took us more than a month to learn how to prevent those little messes). I am wishing you guys wonderful experiences , little boys are a lot of fun :)
ReplyDeleteSally
Heidi, I am so happy to hear all of the great news! Connor is a strong little guy and is so lucky to have such strong and loving parents. Can't wait to hear about his continued progress an when you get to hold him in your arms! Keeping all of you in our prayers and thinking of you guys often.
ReplyDeleteTheresa Freiburger
Yeah!! What a wonderful day. We are so glad to hear that things are improving. Thinking of you guys often especially little Connor. Can't wait to hear tomorrows news. Take care and try and get some sleep.
ReplyDeleteJon and Jamie Mealey
Congrats on baby Connor(love the name) and so happy to hear that he is doing better. Hopefully you will be able to pick him up soon and have some cuddle time. Keeping you in our thoughts and prayers always(Ben prays too!) Miss you :)
ReplyDeleteAmy Simons
Shane, I was so glad to know about your website. Texting your mom was not the easiest or best form of communication, and I felt like I was intruding every time I sent a text. I have praying been for Connor, you and Heidi, and your extended families. I know it has impacted all of you deeply. I still remember when we were at Children's thinking we were going to lose Casey at 3 weeks of age. You will never be the same after experiencing this with your precious baby. I pray the Lord will draw each of you close to Him and that He will strengthen Connor daily. Our family sends our love.
ReplyDelete