Such a relief right now. A cautiously optimistic sense of relief.
Connor has had no further complications thus far since the scare around 9 or 10 this morning.
In fact, we've seen some improvement.
He's down to a 60% oxygen requirement. They are trying to keep his oxygen saturation between 95-98%. If it is above that, they try to drop the percentage of oxygen they are giving him by 2% or so.
The blood is flowing in the right direction (no shunt).
The chest tubes appear to be working. I haven't asked any specific details about them.
His blood gases have been working well (his blood chemistry that is dependent on how well he is taking in oxygen and processing oxygen and carbon dioxide).
The nurses even said he had a "massive" wet diaper and got everything soaked, which is a nice "baby" thing to do.
When I went in to visit him tonight with Uncle Mark, the nurse asked if I would like to take his temperature. We've been completely hands off since he's gotten here, so that was a very simple but exciting thing to do. The nurse then asked if I wanted to change his diaper, but I knew Heidi would "kill me" ;) if I did that, too, without her...so I came out and got her and Heidi got to change his diaper for the first time. It was rather difficult to do in the incubator and around all the catheters and wires, but she did a great job. It was nice to do something that a mom & dad would do .for. Connor. He even briefly opened his eyes although he is fairly sedated.
I talked to the neo, who is the same one that got Connor stabilized last night. She is cautiously optimistic she can wean his oxygen requirements down to 40% by morning.
They are going to have to start TPN (total parental nutrition...or feeding him via an IV line), either tonight or tomorrow. This comes with its own set of potential complications, but he needs it.
He is a little jaundiced, although his bilirubin level is just at 11. They would put him under the "bili lights" to treat this if it goes over 15.
I think that's it for now. The mood is so much more upbeat right now. Cautiously upbeat. Certainly we could get the knock on the door at any point tonight, but we hope and pray...
Finally, I can't say again how humbled and amazed and grateful we are for the prayers. We believe God hears and answers prayers. We are committing Connor to Him and trust His will will be done. We will never be able to say thank you enough to each and every one of you.
I'll try to get more pictures up later. They are mostly iphone pictures, but, perhaps it'll give you a sense of how he looks.
So, thanks again for the prayers...he is not out of the woods...but...we have hope.
Tuesday, March 16, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Congrats on the first diaper! You guys are doing a great job.
ReplyDeleteI am happy to hear you both got to do some parent duties, that is a good sign! Prayers will continue from all points for you, Heidi and Connor! Hope you get some rest and more good news as the hours go by!
ReplyDeleteYa'll are showing AMAZING strength! Thank you SO much for updating this blog!
ReplyDeleteSo happy (yes I cried) that Heidi got to change his diaper! Made my heart happy!!
Michael & Keisha
SOOOOO happy to hear of Connor's improvement. I wish you guys much more dirty diapers :) Keeping you and Connor in my thoughts and prayers.
ReplyDeleteSally and Family
So glad to hear that things are improving a bit. Lots of loves and prayers. :)
ReplyDeleteLeah and Jason
Such wonderful news. Thank you for keeping us all updated. Connor is a very strong young man with exceptionally strong parents. Just continue to have faith in that little boy and God.
ReplyDeleteLinda and Roy
Conner is in the most powerful hands possible. Gods hands. The power of prayer is an amazing thing. We will continue to raise you all up - Casey and Renae H
ReplyDeleteShane & Heidi - our friends The Bowers-Cox Family
ReplyDeleteWanted me to pass a note on to ya'll... Their son Aidan had major complications when he was born & he's 4 now. Karon said - tell them to have faith… that little guy (Aidan) was expected to have serious disabilities if he even made it through the first 24 hours, which they never expected… and just look at him now. I’ve been where they are (without the medical knowledge… which I don’t know if that’s better or worse to understand it all!)—it is so, so tough—but those little guys are so resilient!! I’m sending my prayers their way!!
Yes, leave the necessary details of tubes. Rejoice in the simple matters of . . .diaper changes. Shane, Heidi, you are in my prayers as is Connor. Gil
ReplyDeleteShane so glad to hear you've had at least a little good news!! Pretty soon you'll be delighted to pass off a diaper to Mom!
ReplyDeleteHey there...my mom told me to tell you she is praying. =) Thanks for all the updates. You three are in my prayers, for sure.
ReplyDeleteSo, so , so , so glad to hear things are getting better. I am excited you two received the chance to have your hands on him, and do the parent duty thing . I can only image what great parents you two wonderful people are. Our hearts at NWD are breaking for you,you are in the thoughts and prayers of many. Wish we could do something more to help. I will keep praying for a speedy full recovery.
ReplyDeletePrayers do make a difference. Gina said to tell you she and Richard would be standing with us all in prayer - believing in faith for the best outcome. May God saturate you with peace and sleep tonight. Mike and Becky
ReplyDelete