Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Holding steady...

I'm not sure why, but sat down to grab the computer while Heidi showers, and felt the need to turn on Sesame Street, or whatever it is that's on KERA/PBS. Of course, Elmo's World is on now...not sure I'm ready for that. :)

We just visited Connor. He's down to 79% supplemental oxygen. However, he is needing slightly more blood pressure support (13 mcg dopamine). His blood gases have looked good.

We talked to Dr. Santiago. He said the left chest tube is looking good, but in the mess last night the right pneumothorax increased somewhat. That said, the right chest tube appears to still be working, so that's good.

He wants to try to wean some of the high-frequency ventilator settings to decrease the risk of increasing the pneumothoraces. That's the goal for today, along with weaning his supplemental oxygen.

He is still not being fed via his stomach - the TPN continues.

His urine volume and kidney function tests are still normal.

We talked to him for a short bit. He seems to definitely respond to Heidi's voice every time.

They gave Heidi something called a cuddle doll which she is supposed to wear next to her skin for a while, including sleeping. They will then place it next to his face so he can have Heidi's scent next to him in the incubator.

He still rests under cover of blanket.

We are trying to get ready to see him in about 15 minutes for one of the "touch times." Hopefully we'll get to change his diaper again. Yeah, I know, ask me if I'll feel the same in 4 weeks. :) Although, after this, I think maybe the answer will still be the same. :)

Oh, and to clarify on the "touch times," we can still see him whenever, 24-7. These touch times are just when they allow us to actually interact with him. Still just 3 times a day, though. That's ok.

Heidi's mom also asked again about the kidneys. At this point, they are not worrying about that. The hope is to get past these recurring pneumothoraces then address that problem later if needed.

That's it for now. Hopefully there's not much to report the rest of the day/evening. I'm kind of hoping it's a boring day and maybe just do one more update before we try to get some rest tonight...

Thanks again for all your prayers and words of encouragement. They have helped get us through these past few days...

4 comments:

  1. May God grant you all a boring day as you so wisely put it and also peace through the power of the Holy Spirit. As Jesus said to his disciples in John 14:27 "Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid." Rest assured in the Heavenly Father's love for you all! We will continue to lift all of you up before the throne and mercy of God in prayer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shane, thank you so much for taking the time to do these updates. You're allowing people to watch and pray specifically with you and it means so much to be able to do that. You have the continued prayers of my family, friends, and church family! Love you all!
    Sara Kriek

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, thank you for posting the updates. We are you keeping Connor, Heidi and you in our thoughts and prayers, as well as asking others to do the same for you. Praying for healing, peace and strength.

    Sandy Rich

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, Guys, I just heard and have been reading your blog during lunch.
    My heart goes out to you. I will pray for your baby boy. Hang in there...
    My goson passed away at birth March 11 2009. That moment waiting for the nurse to tell us if there was a heartbeat or not felt like a lifetime. We did not go through what you are going through but I know the pain. God Bless you and I will ask my personal Angel boy to look after your son..to make sure he does not join him. So you can have a lifetime with. God Bless you and yours. Blow kisses to that baby boy of your for me :)
    Samantha Butt

    ReplyDelete